I’ve been interested in switching out my chemical laden cleaning products for a while now. Luckily, I came across the Grove Collaborative (we will get to the products in just a second) and was able to do so.
I knew I would be moving into my new apartment soon so I wanted to make the switch from using conventional cleaning products to something more green and safer for my home.
What’s in Conventional household cleaners?
Benefits of Green Cleaning
There’s no need to take a risk of being exposed to toxins and chemical filled air when there’s a cheaper… yes, this option is easy on the bank account and safer route available.
Let’s look at the benefits you’ll experience once you make the switch (and I’m sure you’ll want to)
No harsh chemicals lingering in the air— better air quality and aromatherapy because of the essential oils.
You don’t have to worry about your hand falling off because you came in contact with a chemical. There’s no threat if it touches your skin
Purer environment because fewer chemicals are going into the water supply. Yay! You’re helping to protect the environment.
- You will be able to save money because there’s no need for a thousand and one supplies. Natural products are multifaceted- one product can perform multiple jobs (We love a dual cleaner)
- Also, making your own just takes a few ingredients to check out this article for how to make your own.
Swapping out toxic Cleaners for Green ones
- chlorine bleach produces fumes that are highly irritating to eyes, nose, throat, and lungs, and should not be used by people with asthma or lung or heart problems.
- This is a bleach you can use on ANY color clothing. It works to lift stains without the bleachy smell.
- Price: $3.59 for 640z
- I love the scent of these wipes it has a nice lemony scent to them and get’s the job done. I use them mostly for cleaning the toilet seat and the kitchen counter. But don’t be fooled these bad boys can be used for any surface and kills over 99.99% of household germs.
- Price: $2.99
- This cleaner is lavender heaven. It’s an all purpose cleaner that I use to clean the sink, tub, and kitchen counter. It works well and leaves behind the most beautiful scent. Best part it’s free of synthetic fragrance, dyes, petroleum solvents, VOC’s, alcohol, ethers, ethoxylates, parabens, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and Sodium Laureate Sulfate.
- Price: $5.95
- Most laundry detergents contain air pollutants, endocrine disruptors, and cancer-causing ingredients that may not even be listed on the bottle. Being green with my detergent was definitely a must since clothing is on our bodies day in and day out.
- Price: $9.79 for 50 oz
A great vegan toilet cleaner.
- Dryer sheets are the worst! Get rid of them. Now. They contain synthetic fragrance (phthalates = endocrine disruptors), AAlpha-Terpineol(causes respiratory problems and damage to central nervous system), Benyl Alcohol (respiratory irritant), Camphor (causes central nervous disorders), Chloroform, Ethanol, and Ethyl Acetate (all on the EPA’s hazardous waste list)…I could go on and on.
- Price: $4.99
chemicals near the vagina area is an absolute no-no. So I opted for these gentle wipes.
Apart from using a menstrual cup I wanted organic pads for days when I don’t feel like wearing one. Conventional pads contain ingredients that cause abnormal tissue and cell growth and disrupts hormones. These pads are made with vegan ingredients so that your lady parts are safe.